Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Easy Restaurant

Easy Restaurant is a diner in Parkdale better known for its breakfast, located at Queen Street West and Roncesvalles. Captain Hunger and I ventured out the other day and partook in the free-range huevos divorciados, I also had a cup of coffee.

The place was busy but there were tables available so the wait was not long. The service was quick and my coffee mug refilled regularly while waiting for food to arrive and during the meal. The atmosphere is kind of a retro homage to the classic film Easy Rider. It has light brown, yellow and orange everywhere, and posters of the movie, and a few others of that period, on the walls throughout the dinner.

The breakfast itself was good. Two eggs sunny side up on top of a corn tortilla, served with a few slices of baguette, ancho jam, red and green salsa, guacamole, refried black beans and some hash browned potatoes. I really did enjoy the condiment spread but could feel that something was missing. Was it the coffee? No. My cup was just refilled, and the coffee was quite good. What was missing was, according to the menu, a side order with this meal. I'm talking about the ham, bacon or sausage option that is, in my mind, an essential part of any breakfast with eggs. Eggs without bacon is like eating bacon without eggs. They exist in unison completing and complementing one another. At $12.95 a plate one would expect a complete breakfast. Instead, I felt cheated as I looked up to the poster with two guys on motorcycles as the waitress handed us the bill. I felt like saying "I'm still hungry and I spent the better part of my grocery money on this meal" but I just smiled. After all, Captain Hunger was paying for the breakfast.

All said, Easy Restaurant is a great place to go if you have extra cash lying around and you want to impress some friends, relatives or whoever with a "fancy" breakfast in a "hip" setting.

1 comment:

Captain Hunger said...

My favourite was the ancho jam!