Sunday, January 4, 2009

Stampede Bison Grill

Captain Hunger and I went for a burger, poutine and milkshake at Stampede Bison Grill (located at 5 Brock Avenue) after a long wait at the LCBO. We were not there long before engaging in a chat with one of the owners of the restaurant who was more than pleased to fill us in on where the bison meat comes from for their burgers. The co-owner informed us that it is farmed outside of Peterborough, and comes directly from the source to the restaurant. I have only ever had bison meat once before (in steak form) and was looking forward to trying it again as a burger.

The Stampede Bison Grill burger was the best I have had in years. The bison meat is very lean, the patty was a good thick size and the taste distinct from other burgers I have had. The poutine was made with real cheese curds (a must in all poutines), vegetarian gravy and fresh cut fries. The poutine was also really good, and Captain Hunger especially thought the crispy fresh-cut fries were perfect. It is nice to know that a real poutine can be found in Parkdale. The milkshake was nice 'n thick, served with the straw sticking straight up in the creamy drink.

Overall, there were no complaints about the meal or facilities. Really friendly, really good burger and poutine, and a clean washroom (upstairs). Stampede Bison Grill will be revisited anytime I want a cheap burger in Parkdale.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we should write competing reviews of that fake meat place we went to! if we don't disagree about the food or service we could just level unscrupulous personal attacks.

Captain Hunger said...

I totally agree wholeheartedly. (I'm afraid of unscrupulous personal attacks.)

TS said...

Stampede is in my 'hood, and I went for the first time last week. A beef burger, some poutine and onion rings later, and I'm hooked.

Yum.

Captain Hunger said...

Yeah, I notice Stampede Grill is more and more crowded everytime I walk by. I think they're developing a bit of a following...